Atlanta Security Solutions News Blog
Do community watch programs reduce crime?
• Community watch spreads awareness. They educate on previous recent criminal activities in the area and impact information, instructions and ability to detect and report crimes.
• The watch also improves communication with local authorities. Local law enforcement departments are able to form better working relations with community and its members, which in turn, help improve credibility of the crime reports and response time.
• Community watch programs also train occupants for emergencies and how to respond to critical situations, because unpreparedness can really accelerate the hostility of emergency conditions.
• There is increased surveillance with the watch programs in place, due to the provision of extra pairs of eyes and ears in response to any fishy or criminal activities. This is an integral part of crime control.
• Criminal opportunities are minimized because for a crime to occur, the culprits must have the ability and opportunity to commit a crime. While nothing can be done about the desire and ability of the criminal, proper surveillance and vigilance can take the opportunity out of the picture.
• Community watch encourages community involvement and pride. It inspires the community members to see themselves as part a larger community and the idea of considering their neighbor’s property as their own, which transforms into greater alertness. Neighborhood security is shared responsibility between the police and the occupants.
Home security systems
While community watch programs are effective and serve an important purpose, on their own, they are enhanced when residents also take measures to protect their own homes and possessions. A home security system is an effective way of protecting one’s home from invasion. Alarms, monitored systems and even signs in the yard often deter criminals before they strike and make it easier for community watch members and police to notice and apprehend criminals quickly, often before they leave the property.
Home security systems aren’t effective only in preventing home invasions, but also in protecting homes from things like fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. Smoke alarms make occupants aware of smoke in the house, and the security systems help identify the source of the smoke and contact the fire department automatically.
Neighborhood watch participants have lives too, despite their neighborhood responsibilities, so they can’t watch your house every second. Home security systems are therefore important and valuable in monitoring and protecting your house, to ensure complete surveillance 24/7. If something is happening in your house and hasn’t been identified by the neighborhood watch, the home security system calls law enforcement for you. Home security systems help the community watch systems in keeping the neighborhood safe from crime for all the community members.
About the Author
William Sheridan with Best Home Security provides answers and solutions for all your home security needs. Visit homesecurity.mywebpal.com for on-topic and useful information that can help keep your family safe.
Georgia Home and Business Security Solutions